Am I Covered by Workers' Compensation in WA When Traveling to and from Work?

Am I Covered by Workers' Compensation in WA When Traveling to and from Work?

Journey claims are not usually covered by workers’ compensation in Western Australia. If a worker leaves home and travels straight to work and is involved in a motor vehicle accident, generally they will not be covered for workers’ compensation in WA.

Which journeys are covered by workers compensation in WA?

  1. You will generally be covered if you are travelling from home to the airport for a trip as long as the journey to the airport is for your employment. This includes situations where your employment necessitates travel, such as interstate or international meetings, conferences, or other work-related events.
  2. If you are visiting a client's office, your journey is typically considered part of your work duties. As such, workers' compensation may cover accidents or injuries occurring during this travel.
  3. If you are “on call” and are required to attend an emergency situation at your employer’s direction, this is also generally covered. Emergency situations can vary, but they often include urgent repairs, medical emergencies for healthcare workers, or critical problem-solving in IT and service industries.

Which journeys are NOT covered?

  1. Travel to work and travel home from work are usually not covered under workers' compensation. This is often referred to as the “coming and going” rule, where the regular commute to and from your workplace is considered outside of work hours and responsibility.
  2. If you have more than one place of residence, then travel between those places will not be covered. This exclusion applies even if the residences are in different cities or regions and part of your work involves being in multiple locations.
  3. If you are directed by your employer to attend a meeting at a client’s office and you interrupt that journey to attend to a personal matter, you will not be covered.

Motor vehicle accidents – workers’ compensation and the Insurance Commission of Western Australia

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to claim workers’ compensation payments and damages if your injuries were caused by the negligence of another driver. This includes situations where you were performing work duties or were on a work-related journey as defined above.

Consult Perth City Legal

To know the best course of action to claim workers' compensation in WA if you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident going to or from work, please contact workers' compensation and motor vehicle accident  lawyers at Perth City Legal.

We’re ready to provide you advice and the legal expertise you need to make your claim confidently. Whether it's navigating the complexities of journey claims, understanding your rights in different work travel scenarios, or dealing with the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, our team has the experience and knowledge to support you.

Get in touch with our workers compensation lawyers today to discuss your situation, explore your options, and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve..

Read Our Latest Articles.

Am I Covered by Workers' Compensation in WA When Traveling to and from Work?

For any worker or employee who has to commute or drive to and from work, one question they might ask concerning their safety would be: Am I covered by workers' compensation to and from work?

Sexual Harassment in the Workplace

The #MeToo social media campaign has highlighted the prevalence of sexual harassment, in particular in the workplace. Sexual Harassment in the Workplace is never acceptable, and employees in Perth.

Claiming Workers' Compensation for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Get the Facts about claiming Workers' Compensation for the Cornavirus (COVID-19).